Who is a Class Member?
- Class members in the case are defined as anyone who used the Uber safe ride service to purchase as ride from Uber from Jan. 1, 2013 and Jan. 31, 2016
- Amount varies per class member but in general class members will receive $0.25 for their first ride on an Uber service that charged an Uber safe rides fee, then a per-ride amount for every additional such ride
Proof of Purchase
- Class members need to submit the Class Member Identification Number (this number will be emailed to class members)
- Claim form deadline: 1/8/18
- Exclusion date: 1/8/18
- Settlement fairness hearing: February 8, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. PST
McKnight, et al. v. Uber Technologies Inc.,
- Case No. 3:14-cv-05615-JST
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Matthew Philliben and Bryon McKnight iniated the lawsuit back in December of 2104 that challenged Uber’s assertions that it runs thorough background checks on its UberX and UberXL drivers. Uber has agreed to a settlement fund of $32,500,000 and the settlement also places new restrictions on the way it advertises its driver background checks.
The Uber Safe Ride Share Settlement revolves around claims that Uber did not do enough to screen drivers associated with their safe ride service. Customers could elect to pay an additional one dollar to have an Uber driver that agreed to a background check (which in turn is suppose to make the driver safer). Class members contend that these background checks were inadequate as it only made the would be Uber driver submit their name, contact information, driver’s license number and Social Security number through an Uber website (despite the fact that Uber decsribed these background checks as “industry leading” checks). The “woefully inadequate” background check did not require a fingerprint check or any in-person contact between the prospective driver and an Uber representative, according to the plaintiffs.
- Mail: McKnight v. Uber SettlementRideshare Settlement Administratorc/o Epiq SystemsPO Box 3967Portland, OR 97208-3967
- Phone: 1-877-797-6083
- Email: info@RideshareSettlement.com