Who is a Class Member
According to the Class Notice, members of the Medicredit Debt Collection Calls TCPA Class Action Settlement include the “approximately 627,642 persons whose unique cellular telephone number has been identified in the call data produced in this litigation where the call records reflect Medicredit Inc. codes “WN” or “DNK” or NPAS Inc. Smart Codes 11, 13, 15, 42, 584, and 770.”
There are approximately 627,642 persons whose unique cellular telephone number has been identified in this class action settlement.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
This is just an estimate. The final cash payment amount will depend on the total number of valid and timely claims submitted by Settlement Class Members.
Proof of Purchase
- Class members will need to provide their unique Claim ID and Access Code printed on their official settlement postcard notice. If you do not have a Claim ID/PIN, but believe you are entitled to benefits under the settlement, you can click here to file a claim online.
Medicredit Debt Collection Calls TCPA Settlement Notes
- Martinez v. Medicredit, Inc. and Hornberger v. Medicredit Inc
- Case No. 4:16CV01138 ERW
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
In July 2017, plaintiffs Marilynn Martinez and two other named plaintiffs filed this class action lawsuit against Medicredit for alleged violated of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act or TCPA.
According to court documents, in 2015 and 2016, Martinez received numerous debt collection calls on her cellphone from Medicredit regarding a debt allegedly owed by her adult son. She claims these debt collection calls were placed using a predictive dialer. Martinez says that at no time leading up to these debt collection calls did she give Medicredit her cellphone number to be called for the purpose of her son’s alleged debt.
The lawsuit indicates that several of these debt collection calls used an artificial or prerecorded voice stating as follows: “We are calling from Medicredit on behalf of Osceola Regional Medical Center. This is a call from a debt collector. Please return our call at 800-823-2318 Monday through Friday during normal business hours. Thank you.”
The TCPA prohibits the use of an automatic telephone dialing system (ATDS or autdialer) or an artificial or prerecorded voice to call a cell phone number without the prior express consent of the called party. The law was enacted as a response to the growing nuisance and an invasion of privacy many of these calls are perceived as. The law extends beyond annoying telemarketing calls to wrong number debt collection calls, debt collection calls where the recipient has ask to no longer receive such calls, as well as to junk faxes, and unwanted text messages.
Medicredit denies these allegations and denies any claim of wrongdoing but agreed to settle the case for $5 million to avoid further litigation costs and the risk associated with going to trial.
Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Medicredit Debt Collection Calls TCPA Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the Medicredit Debt Collection Calls TCPA Settlement must do so by March 30, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit their claim form on or before March 30, 2018.
- 3/30/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 3/30/18: Exclusion or Objection Deadline
- 5/15/18: Final Hearing at 10:00 am CT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.MedicreditTCPASettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Medicredit Inc. TCPA Settlement, c/o Kurtzman Carson Consultants, P.O. Box 404047, Louisville, KY 40233-4047
- Phone: 1-855-200-4979
- Email: info@MedicreditTCPASettlement.com
- Keith Keogh of Keogh Law LTD
- Scott D. Owens of Scott D. Owens PA
- Eric W. Kem of The Kem Law Firm PA
- Michael Greenwald of Greenwald Davidson Radbil PLLC
- Robert W. Murphy