Who is a Class Member
Class members of the James Bond DVD or Blu-Ray Movie Box Set Class Action Settlement include “all persons and entities (and their successors-in-interest, assigns, and heirs) in the United States that purchased prior to January 31, 2018 one or more of the following James Bond DVD or Blu-ray box sets:
- Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of Bond 007 (SKU numbers M126625, M126627, M129384, M130135, M130146, M132910)
- The James Bond Collection (SKU number M133433); and
- The Ultimate James Bond Collection (SKU numbers M133435, M134821, M134670)”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- One Digital Copy of the films Casino Royale (1967) and Never Say Never Again (1983)
All Class Members that file a valid and timely claim form will receive one digital copy of the 1967 film entitled Casino Royale and one digital copy of the 1983 film entitled Never Say Never Again.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to provide proof of purchase for the James Bond Box Set they purchased, such as a receipt, invoice, or other document. It must show the date of purchase.
James Bond DVD Box Set Settlement Notes
- Mary L. Johnson v. MGM Holdings, Inc., et al.
- Case No. 2:17-cv-00541- RSM
- Pending in the U.S. District Court in and for the Western District of Washington at Seattle.
In March 2017, plaintiff Mary L. Johnson filed this nationwide consumer class action against MGM, Fox, MGM Holdings, and Twenty-First Century Fox, alleging that the packaging and marketing of certain DVD and Blu-ray box sets of James Bond films was deceptive and misleading.
Specifically, the complaint says the packaging used the terms “all” and “every” in describing the films contained in the following James Bond DVD or Blu-ray box sets: Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of Bond 007, The James Bond Collection, and The Ultimate James Bond Collection. However these James Bond DVD box sets did not contain two of the film franchises’ movies: Casino Royale and Never Say Never Again.
Each of the named defendants denies all allegations of wrongdoing and maintains it entered into the settlement agreement just to put the claims to rest finally and avoid expensive litigation.
The FAQs section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the James Bond DVD Box Set Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves from the James Bond DVD Box Set Settlement must do so by May May 18, 2018. If you want to object to the terms of the settlement, you must make sure your objection is received by July 17, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for one digital copy of the 1967 film entitled Casino Royale and one digital copy of the 1983 film entitled Never Say Never Again must do so by May 29, 2018.
- 5/29/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 5/18/18: Exclusion Deadline (must be postmarked by)
- 7/17/18: Objection Deadline (must be received by)
- 7/31/18: Final Hearing at 10:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.bonddvdsettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: MGM Fox James Bond Box Set Class Settlement c/o JND Class Action Administration P.O. Box 91349 Seattle, WA 98111
- Phone: 1-833-380-5565
- Email: info@bondDVDsettlement.com
- Alan J. Statman and Sylvie Derrien of Statman Harris & Eyrich LLC
- Alexander S. Kleinberg of Eisenhower Carlson PLLC