Who is a Class Member
You are included in the IKO Organic Roofing Shingles Class Action Settlement if “as of October 3, 2018, you own or owned a home, building, or other structure located in the United States upon which the [IKO Organic] Shingles were installed.”
There are several ways to find out if you have the Shingles.
- Check your purchase or repair documents. You may have receipts, warranties, bills of sale, or brochures from when you purchased or repaired your shingles or your roof. These documents may say that the Shingles were installed on your building.
- The contractor or company that installed or repaired your shingles or roof may know whether the Shingles were installed.
- Ask a contractor or builder. An experienced contractor or builder may be able to tell by looking at your property whether you have the Shingles.
- See if you still have packaging material for the Shingles. The installer may have left a package of spare Shingles in your garage or basement, and you may be able to identify them from the packaging.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
If the IKO Roofing Shingles Proposed Settlement is granted final approval, eligible Class Members who do not exclude themselves will receive:
- extended existing (non-expired) Shingle Warranties by five years
- new Shingle warranties for five years after the date of expiration for warranties that expired five or fewer years prior to the date of the Settlement Agreement;
- a limit on the payment reduction factor on the final year of Shingle warranties;
- clarification of their Shingle warranty claims procedures, including the language of goodwill releases; and,
- the option of selecting cash payments or replacement fiberglass shingles of equal or greater value (as determined by IKO)
Proof of Purchase
- If you are a Settlement Class Member, then you will receive the benefits of the Settlement Agreement unless you request to exclude yourself from the settlement. You do not need to file a claim form to obtain the benefits of the settlement.
IKO Organic Roofing Shingles Settlement Notes
- In re: IKO Roofing Shingle Products Liability Litigation
- MDL No. 2014
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Peoria Division
This class action lawsuit arose from allegations that the organic asphalt roofing shingles manufactured by IKO and sold throughout the United States between 1978 and 2008 were defective and failed to perform as promised.
The specific brands of these organic roofing shingles include:
- Aristocrat (Imperial)
- Armour Plus
- Armour Plus 20
- Armour Seal
- AM Armour Seal
- Armour Seal Supreme
- Armour Seal (Metric)
- Cathedral XL
- Crowne 30
- Imperial Seal
- Imperial Superplus
- AM Superplus
- Royal Victorian
- New Englander
- Quantum Skyline
- Renaissance XL
- Armour Lock
- Armour Tite
- Ultralock 25
- Chateau Ultra Shadow
Specifically, the complaint claims that the shingles are prone to cracking, blistering, fishmouthing, clawing, discoloration, and breaking. IKO’s warranty programs were also challenged in the action.
IKO denies any liability or wrongdoing but rather that continuing with this years-long contentious litigation, further appeals, and a possible jury trial, have agreed to settle the case. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the IKO Organic Roofing Shingles settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to the IKO Roofing Shingles settlement must do so by February 15, 2019. Class members who wish to exclude themselves must do so by February 20, 2019.
Class members who wish to participate in the settlement do not need to do anything.
- N/A: Claim Form Deadline
- 2/15/19: Objection Deadline
- 2/20/19: Exclusion Deadline
- 3/13/19: Final Hearing at 9:00 am CT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check the settlement website at www.IKOOrganicRoofingShinglesClassActionSettlement.com to confirm the date and time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: In re: IKO Roofing Shingles Products Liability Litigation Notice Provider, c/o KCC Class Action Services, P.O. Box 404000, Louisville, KY 40233-4000
- Clayton D. Halunen of Halunen Law
- Charles E. Schaffer of Levin Sedran & Berman
- Robert K. Shelquist of Lockridge Grindal Nauen PLLP