Who is a Class Member
Class members of the IDT Energy Utility Bill Overcharge Settlement include “all current and former IDT customers between July 1, 2008 and October 16, 2017.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
Claimants can choose to receive either a cash payment or bill credit. The actual settlement amounts you can claim are detailed here.
Additionally, claimants who participated in an IDT Rebate Program, can choose one of the following three options for their Rebate Settlement Payment:
- Request that IDT recalculate your rebate and pay you for any additional sums owed. The recalculation will be at the rate of 3 cents per therm and 1 cent per kWh; or
- elect a $2 bill credit, or
- elect a $1 cash payment.
If you choose to have your rebate recalculated, IDT has agreed to pay you any rebate amounts owed that are greater than any rebates IDT previously paid. For further details about the Rebate Settlement Payout, click here.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to provide their Claimant ID Number located on the front of the settlement notice postcard mailed to them.
IDT Energy Overcharge Settlement Notes
- McLaughlin v. IDT Energy, Inc. et al.
- Case No. 1:14-cv-04107
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
This class action lawsuit was initiated by IDT Energy customers who allege that the company overcharged customers for gas and electricity, and failed to provide the full amount of rebated customers were owed under IDT’s rebate programs. The plaintiffs assert that IDT Energy“ breached its contracts with its customers and the covenant of good faith and fair dealing implicit in those contracts.”
Specifically, the complaint claims that IDT enticed customers to switch to IDT by promising competitive rates and savings on their energy bills. Instead, IDT purportedly raised customers’ rates up to four times higher than before they switched to IDT.
IDT Energy denies any wrongdoing but has agreed to settle these allegations to avoid further litigation.
The FAQ section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the IDT Energy Overcharge Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the IDT Energy Utility Bill Overcharge Settlement must do so by April 5, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for payment must do so by April 5, 2018.
- 4/5/18 Claim Filing Deadline
- 4/5/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 4/9/18: Final Fairness Hearing at 10:00 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check idtenergysettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: IDT Energy Litigation, c/o Rust Consulting, PO Box 2610, Faribault, MN 55021-9610
- Phone: 1-888-334-6163
- Fax: 1-877-625-9460
- New Jersey Class Counsel
- D. Greg Blankinship of Finkelstein Blankinship Frei-Pearson & Garber LLP
- Matthew D. Schelkopf of McCune Wright Arevalo LLP
- Matthew R. Mendelsohn of Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman LLC
- New York Class Counsel
- Steven L. Wittels, J. Burkett McInturff, and Tiasha Palikovic of Wittels Law PC
- Pennsylvania Class Counsel
- Jonathan Shub of Kohn Swift & Graf PC
- Troy M. Frederick of Marcus & Mack PC
3 thoughts on “IDT Energy Utility Bill Overcharge Class Action Settlement”
March 1, 2018
I request to EXCLUDE myself from the “IDT settlement”. CLAIMENT ID: 0019834443
Please reply to my e-mail to confirm this request.
Therese Nagai, 679 Warburton Ave. Apt.8N, Yonkers, NY 10701-1615
Filed a complaint. Paid $1400.00 for one months electric. Never heard a word back.
idt ripped me off at least $1000.00 and I get a check for 52.00 .