Who is a Class Member
- Anyone who subscribed to fax numbers from Hardware Resources TCPA and received a completed transmission of at least one fax by Profax Inc. The faxes were broadcast on the following dates December 6, 2012, November 15, 2013, November 17, 2013, November 18, 2014, November 24, 2014, and November 16, 2015
Required Documentation (Proof)
- Claim Form (Closed)
- No proof of purchase is required as Hardware Resources’ records will verify any claimed class members.
- Potential members must provide their completed W-9 tax form or valid Taxpayer Identification Number. If this step is not completed, for tax purposes, their payment will be capped at $599.99.
Claim Form (Unnecessary)
- https://kccsecure.com/hrfaxsettlement/Claimant/UnKnownClaimFormW9 (Closed)
- 9/29/17: Deadline for claim filing.
- 10/27/17: Final Hearing
Hardware Resources Junk Fax Class Action Settlement Case Notes
- Craftwood Lumber Co. v. Hardware Resources Inc.
- Case No. 16 CH 1353
- Pending in the Lake County Circuit Court, Illinois
The Craftwood Lumber Co. v. Hardware Resources Inc. case revolved around the claim that Hardware Resources violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Class members contend that the defense approved and sent numerous, unsolicited advertisements to various fax number subscribers. In accordance with the TCPA, those whose privacy was infringed upon may recover damages up to $500 per incident with potential distributions up to $1,500 for each violation.
Craftwood Lumber initially made filed the class action lawsuit on September 6, 2016. While Hardware Resources denies all accusations, the company agreed to a preliminary settlement to the amount of $11,750,000 on July 7, 2017. Expected distributions are to be approximately $225-230 per fax received. This comes only a few short years after Craftwood Lumber pushed Interline Brands to a $40 million settlement for similar violations. The final hearing to approve the settlement comes later this month.
- C. Darryl Cordero (Payne & Fears LLP)
- Charles R. Watkins (Guin Stokes & Evans LLC)
- Sean G. Wieber (Winston & Strawn LLP)
- Mail: PO Box 404000, Louisville, KY 40233-4000
- Phone: 1-855-202-3382
- Fax: 310-751-1883