Who is a Class Member
- Anyone in the United States who purchased Kirkland brand Signature Organic Virgin Coconut Oil in a 42.3 ounce jar since March 1, 2014 is eligible to file a claim in this class action suit
- Like almost all class action suits, the exact amount of money that will be awarded to any one eligible class member depends on how many people submit claims. Once the lawyers in the case have been paid their fees, every member who sends in a legitimate claim will receive payment for every Costco coconut oil they bought, counting up to 5 items per member
Proof of Purchase
- A proof of purchase will be required depending on where and how someone bought their coconut oil from Costco. Suit members who purchased their oil from an actual Costco store and who were Costco members when they made that purchase only need to provide their Costco membership number, and their purchase will be verified by Costco’s internal records. People who purchased the oil from outside a Costco store will need to have a receipt that shows the price of the item along with the date and location that it was purchased
Costco Coconut Oil Class Action Lawsuit Notes
- James Boswell et al. v. Costco Wholesale Corp. et al.
- Case No: 8:16-CV-00278-DOC
The class action lawsuit against Costco revolves around the claim that they violated California consumer protection laws, including the Unfair Competition Law (UCL), the False Advertising Law (FAL), and the Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA). The law office of Jack Fitzgerald and the law office of Paul K. Joseph, PC will be the class counsel in this case, meaning people who are filing a suit do not need to get their own lawyers. Class action members in the suit against Costco do have the right to have their lawyer if they want, however, at their own expense.
Costco denies they did anything wrong in this case, but to avoid the hassle and expense of a court case, they have agreed to just settle out of court. A total of $775,000 is designated to pay all matters involved with this suit, including lawyer’s fees and member settlement payments. The court fees will be no greater than 25%, which comes to about $190,000. It’s estimated that between $150,000 and $180,000 will go towards member payment.
- July 26, 2017: A preliminary approval order will be held
- September 23, 2017: The final mail notice deadline
- October 30, 2017: Any eligible claims that are being mailed in must be postmarked by this date or submitted online by this date
- November 13, 2017: Any objections must be received by this date
- October 30, 2017: Final approval in the class action suit against Costco will be held on this date
- Mail: Kirkland Signature Coconut Oil Settlement c/o Dahl Administration PO Box 3614 Minneapolis, MN 55403-0614
- Phone: 1-866-875-7574
- Email: info@KirklandCoconutOilSettlement.com