Who is a Class Member
- You are an eligible class member if on or after May 18, 2007, you received one or more telemarketing calls from a Monitronics Authorized Dealer, or an Authorized Dealer’s lead generator or subdealer:
- On a cellular telephone using an automatic telephone dialing system or prerecorded voice; or
- On a residential telephone using an artificial or prerecorded voice; or
- Two or more times within a twelve-month period on a residential telephone number that was on the National Do Not Call Registry
If you don’t qualify for this Monitronics TCPA Robocall settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
- Estimated Payout: $15 – $25 per claim. Your actual share of the settlement will depend on the number of valid and timely claim forms submitted.
Proof of Purchase
Monitronics Robocall TCPA Settlement Notes
- In re: Monitronics International Inc. Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litigation
- Case No. 1:13-md-02493
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
Plaintiffs Jason Bennett, Philip Charvat, Scott Dolemba, Michael and Janet Hodgin, and Diana Mey filed this nationwide class action lawsuit against Monitronics International, alleging the security alarm monitoring company violated that TCPA when it, or a third party on its behalf, placed autodialed or prerecorded calls to plaintiffs’ residential or cell phones without their prior consent or permission, as well as to numbers listed on the national Do Not Call Registry. Over 30 similar class action lawsuits were consolidated into multidistrict litigation in December 2013.
Specifically the plaintiffs claim that some of Monitronics Authorized Dealers used illegal telemarketing practices to sell monitoring contracts on behalf of Monitronics, Under the TCPA, automated or prerecorded calls to residential or cell phones without the holder’s prior consent is illegal. The TCPA also prohibits telemarketing calls to phone numbers registered on the national Do Not Call Registry. Court documents indicate that 7,858, 232 telephone numbers were called on behalf of Monitronics in violation of the TCPA.
In addition to paying settlement awards to Settlement Class Members, the $28 million settlement fund will be used to pay attorneys’ fees and court costs, incentive awards to each of the Class Representatives, and settlement administration costs..
Monitronics denies it made any telemarketing calls or did anything wrong but has agreed to pay $28 million to avoid further litigation.
Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by Feb. 20, 2018.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt out from the settlement must notify the Settlement Administrator in writing and postmarked no later than Feb. 20, 2018 (class members cannot submit an exclusion over the phone or via the monitronicstcpasettlement.com website).
- 2/20/18: Claim filing deadline
- 2/20/18: Opt out or exclusion deadline
- 2/20/18: Objection deadline
- 3/29/18: Settlement approval hearing at 11:00 a.m. ET (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie
- Mail: Monitronics Settlement Administrator, PO Box 404035, Louisville, KY 40233-4035
- Phone: 1-844-660-2214
- John W. Barrett and Jonathan R. Marshall of Bailey & Glasser LLP
- Beth E. Terrell and Jennifer Rust Murray of Terrell Marshall Law Group PLLC
- Edward A. Broderick and Anthony I. Paronich of Broderick & Paronich PC
- Matthew P. McCue of The Law Office of Matthew P. McCue