Who is a Class Member
The California Big O Tires “Tire Protection Package” Class Action Settlement is divided into two subclasses:
Subclass A includes “all persons who are citizens of the State of California and who, at any time after January 2, 2009, purchased a ‘Tire Protection Package’ from Big O Tires and during the same transaction, also purchased a tire installation package from Big O that included lifetime balancing.”
Subclass B includes: “all persons who are citizens of the State of California and who, at any time after January 2, 2009, purchased a ‘Tire Protection Package’ from Big O Tires and during the same transaction, DID NOT also purchased a tire installation package from Big O that included lifetime balancing.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- $2,950,000.00 (approximately)
- Subclass A: $20.54 Cash Payment or $25.51 Big O Tires Stores Coupon
- Subclass B: $12.46 Cash Payment or $15.47 Big O Tires Stores Coupon
The amount of your payout will depend on the total number of valid claims received. It is estimated that if 5-10% of Settlement Class Members submit a valid claim form, payments would fall between $137 and $275 per person. This is only an estimate; the actual amount of any payments may be higher or lower.
Proof of Purchase
Big O Tires Tire Protection Settlement Notes
- Brian Jeffery Fratilla and Bob Franchino v. Big O Tires, LLC
- Case No. 37-2013-00028542-CU-BT-CTL
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
This class action settlement stems from several allegations launched against Big O Tires and their action involving the sell of their Tire Protection Packages. Specifically the plaintiffs claim that Big O Tires failed to meet legal requirements for the net worth or insurance requirements to sell their Tire Protection Packages. The lawsuit also alleges that Big O Tires was legally required to print in “bold type no smaller than the surrounding type the language in the TPP” that excludes coverage, but did not do so. wording of the Tire Protection Package.
Big O Tires was also accused of misrepresenting that the TPP provides consumers with free tire rotations, free flat repair, free tire balancing, and a warranty against defects, and more when in actuality all Big O’s customers are already entitled to these services.
Big O Tires denies the allegations and contends that it has provided its customers with the Tire Protection Package warranty coverage they intended to purchase and accurately disclosed all o f the benefits and limitations of the TPP. Additionally, Big O Tires asserts that it was not obligated to provide any cancellation rights to its customers, that it did agree to cancel TPPs’ when requested and that is has complied with all laws. However, the company agreed to settle the case.
In addition to monetary compensation, the settlement also requires Big O Tires to implement a revised TPP invoice backer at its California locations. Furthermore, the settlement also entitles Class Members did not cancel or obtain refunds for their Tire Protection Packages with:
- an extension of all benefits of the TPP by one (1) year for each Class Members who purchased a TPP on or after January 1, 2014; and
- a free vehicle inspection, which shall include, at a minimum, tires, breaks, shocks, struts and oil.
Complete details about the case and settlement can be found on the Big O Tires Tire Protection Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the Big O Tires Tire Protection settlement must do so by July 19, 2018. Class members who wish to receive a cash payment from the settlement must submit their claim form on or before July 19, 2018.
- 7/19/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 7/19/18 Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 8/17/18: Final Hearing at 10:30 a.m. PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.TireProtectionClassAction.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Fratilla v Big O Tires, Settlement Administrator, PO Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-844-210-2592
- Email: email@example.com
- Edward D. Chapin of Sanford Heisler Sharp LLP
- Grant G. Teeple and Gregory M. Garrison of Teeple Hall LLP
- Alexander E. Papaefthimiou of Papaefthimiou APC
- Megan A. Richmond of Megan A. Richmond APC