Who is a Class Member
You are a member of the Taste of Nature Candy Products class action lawsuit if purchased in the U.S. any of the 3.1-ounce and 4.0-ounce boxed of Taste of Nature candy products listed below between January 1, 2013 and June 18, 2018.
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Fudge Brownie Cookie Dough Bites
- Santa’s Village Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Cookies N’ Cream Cookie Dough Bites
- Cinnamon Bun Bites
- Red Velvet Cupcake Bites
- Moon Pie Bites
- Strawberry Dream Bites
- Birthday Cake Cookie Dough Bites
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
- Muddy Bears
- Shari Candies Cherry Sour Balls
- Despicable Me 2 Sour Gummies
- Hello Kitty Treats
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
- Up to $12.50 per household
Your exact payout will depend on what Tier you elect:
- Tier 1: Settlement Class Members who elect to fill out the Claim Form section for Tier 1 and who do not have valid Proof of Purchase may recover up to a maximum of $0.25 per Product for up to a maximum of four (4) Units ($1.00 per Household).
- Tier 2: Settlement Class Members who elect to fill out the Claim Form for Tier 2 and who provide valid Proof of Purchase may recover $0.25 per Product purchased for up to a maximum of fifty (50) Units ($12.50 per Household).
Proof of Purchase
- Class members who submit proof of purchase can claim up to $12.50. Class member who do not can claim $1.
Taste of Nature Candy Products Settlement Notes
- Dacia Trentham v. Taste of Nature Inc.
- Case No. 18PH-CV00751
- Pending in Phelps County Circuit Court, Missouri
Plaintiff Dacia Trentham filed this class action lawsuit against Taste of Nature alleging the company engaged in misleading packaged its candy products in non-transparent, cardboard containers, which contain unlawful empty space or “slack-fill”
According to the law, slack-fill is only warranted if it is functional, such as protecting the package contents. However, Trentham claims that there is a considerable amount of “non-functional” slack fill in Taste of Nature candy products. She says when she purchased the candy products, she expected to get a larger amount of candy than she did based on the packaging size. Trentham alleges that Taste of Nature intentionally and deceptively underfills the boxes its candies are packaged in.
Taste of Nature is the only candy maker accused of slack-filling their products. Recently, Ferrara Candy, the makers of candies such as RedHots and JuJuBes settled a slack-fill class action lawsuit for $2.5 million.
Taste of Nature denies any wrongdoing and contends that its candy products were “truthfully and lawfully marketed, labeled, and filled.” Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Taste of Nature Candy Products settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the Taste of Nature Candy Products settlement must do so by September 28, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before December 24, 2018.
- 12/24/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 9/28/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 10/24/18: Final Hearing (time not specified). Class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie.
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.CandyProductSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Trentham v. Taste of Nature, c/o Heffler Claims Group, Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 59502, Philadelphia, PA 19102-9502
- Phone: 1-844-271-4788
- David Steelman and Stephen F. Gaunt of Steelman Gaunt & Horsefield
- Naomi B. Spector of KamberLaw LLP