Who is a Class Member
You are a Class member of the RMG Sunset Restaurants Living Wage Surcharge Settlement if you purchased food and/or beverages at any Cabo Cantina, Baja Beach Cafe, Fiesta Cantina, PB Cantina, Jameson’s Irish Pub or Sunset Trocadero Lounge (collectively, the “RMG Sunset Restaurants”) at any time between January 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017, and paid an undisclosed state living wage surcharge.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- Full Refund or $3 Check Payment or 10% Discount Voucher
Class members whoo submit a valid and timely claim form are entitled to a full refund of the living wage surcharges they paid, provided they submit proof of receipt. Claimants who do not have a receipt can opt to receive either a $3 check payment or a 10% discount voucher good for any purchase at a RMG Sunset affiliated restaurant.
Proof of Purchase
- To qualify for a full refund, Settlement Class Members must submit receipts detailing the surcharges they paid. Claimants that do not have receipts are eligible to receive a $3 check payment or 10% discount voucher that can be used at any RMG Sunset affiliated restaurants.
RMG Sunset Restaurants Living Wage Surcharge Settlement Notes
- Jay South v. RMG Sunset, Inc.
- Case No. BC 652905
- Pending in Los Angeles County Superior Court
In March 2017, plaintiff Jay South brought this class action lawsuit against RMG Sunset alleging the restaurant management company illegally added a living wage surcharge to customers’ bills and violated consumer protection laws.
According to South, on August 8, 2016, he purchased a meal at Cabo Cantina restaurant in Marina Del Rey, California. At the conclusion of his meal, he received a bill for $62.76, which he “paid with customary gratuity.” South claims that his bill included a 4.9% surcharge, comprising $2.70 of the $62.76 total amount, and that the restaurant “did not provide Plaintiff any notice of this surcharge/tax in any manner prior to ordering and eating” at Cabo Cantina.
RMG Sunset Restaurants denies any wrongdoing and maintains that customers were not harmed in any way but agreed to settle the case to avoid the uncertainty of further litigation.
The Frequently Asked Questions section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the RMG Sunset Restaurants Living Wage Surcharge Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the RMG Sunset Restaurants Living Wage Surcharge Settlement must do so by April 30, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for a full refund must do so by May 21, 2018.
- 5/21/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 4/30/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 8/3/18: Final Hearing at 11:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.SouthSurchargeSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: South v. RMG Sunset Inc. Settlement Administrator, c/o Heffler Claims Group, P.O. Box 42764, Philadelphia, PA 19101-2764
- Phone: 1-858-793-6244 (Class Counsel)
- Email: contact@SouthSurchargeSettlement.com
- Camille DeCamp and Timothy E. Campen of Slattery Sobel & DeCamp LLP