Who is a Class Member
- There are two Safeway olive oil settlement classes:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Settlement Class includes “all persons who, between May 23, 2010 and Dec.16, 2016, purchased, at Safeway Inc. retail stores in the United States, any Safeway Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil Products except for resale.”
- Pure Or Extra Light Olive Oil Settlement Class includes “all persons who, between Jan. 1, 2012 and July 31, 2015, purchased, at Safeway Inc. retail stores in the United States, any Safeway Select Pure Olive Oil or Safeway Select Extra Light in Flavor Olive Oil, except for resale.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
If you timely file a valid claim form, you can choose to receive either a voucher or cash refund per product purchased depending on the product purchased. The amounts that you can receive are as follows:
|Safeway Select Olive Oil Type||Eligible Purchase Dates||Voucher value (per Product purchased)||Cash (per Product purchased)|
|Pure||January 1, 2012 to July 31, 2015||$1.50||$0.50|
|Extra Light In Flavor||January 1, 2012 to July 31, 2015||$1.50||$0.50|
|Extra Virgin||May 23, 2010 to July 31, 2015||$1.50||$0.50|
|Extra Virgin||August 1, 2015 to December 16, 2016||$0.75||$0.25|
If you choose to receive vouchers, you will receive a separate voucher for each product purchased during the eligible purchase dates. Vouchers are redeemable at any Safeway or Vons store. They can be used as the equivalent of cash for the purchase of any item except for dairy products, gasoline, prescription pharmaceuticals, alcohol, or tobacco products. Vouchers will not expire.
Proof of Purchase
- Settlement awards are limited to five product purchases. However, if you would like to make a claim for more than five product purchases, you must submit at least one of the following proof of purchase:
- A Safeway Club Card number—or telephone number that links to a Safeway Club Card account hat was used to make purchases of the Products during the eligible time periods.
- One or more itemized Safeway store receipts showing date and place of purchase, name and quantity of Products purchased, and amount paid during the eligible time periods.
Safeway Olive Oil “Imported from Italy” Settlement Notes
- Kumar v. Safeway Inc.
- Case No. RG-14726707
- Pending in the Superior Court of the State of California, County of Alameda
Plaintiff Rohini Kumar filed the Safeway Olive Oil class action lawsuit alleging that Safeway improperly marketed certain Select brand olive oil products as “Imported From Italy” and/or “extra virgin”, and thereby intentionally misrepresented the olive oil products to consumers. Kumar argued that most of the olive oil in the products originated from olives grown in other Mediterranean countries, which are then shipped to Italy for blending and bottling before being exported to the United States.
The lawsuit also alleges that, with respect to Safeway Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Safeway’s suppliers’ procurement, bottling, and distribution practices did not adequately ensure that the oil would meet the “extra virgin” standard through the date of retail sale or the “best by” date on the bottles.
Safeway denies that there is any factual or legal basis for Kumar’s allegations and contends that its labeling is accurate, not misleading, and in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. However, under the terms of the Safeway Olive Oil settlement, the company has agreed in the future not to use the phrase “Imported from Italy” except in for olive oils made from 100% Italian olives. It has also agreed to bottle its Safeway Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil in green or brown glass containers and to use a “best by” or “use by” date not later than eighteen months after the date of bottling.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt-out of the settlement must do so by Feb. 16, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by Feb. 16, 2018.
- 2/16/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 2/16/18: Exclusion or Objection Deadline
- 3/16/18: Final approval hearing at 10:00 am PT (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
- Mail: Safeway Settlement Claim Administrator, c/o Kutrzman Carson Consultants, PO Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-866-650-3844
- Adam J. Gutride, Seth A. Safier, and Kristen G. Simplicio of Gutride Safier LLP
- Hassan A. Zavareei and Jeffrey D. Kaliel of Tycko & Zavareei LLP