Who is a Class Member
Class members in the Power Pressure Cooker Settlement are defined as all “purchasers in the United States who bought Pressure Cookers manufactured, supplied, marketed, sold and/or distributed by the Defendant between March 1, 2013 and January 19, 2018.”
The exact Power Pressure Cooker’s included in the settlement are:
|Model Number on Back of Unit||Name on Face Plate|
|PPC770||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC770-1||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC780||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC780P||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC790||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PCXL/PRO8||Power Pressure Cooker XL Pro|
|PC-PRO8||Power Pressure Cooker XL Pro|
|YBD60-100||Power Cooker Express|
|PCXL/PRO6||Power Pressure Cooker XL Pro|
|PCXL/PRO6 (Date Code 1442)||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC771||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC772||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
|PPC772P||Power Cooker Plus|
|PPC773||Power Pressure Cooker XL|
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou might be eligible for.
- $72.50 Credit Voucher + Extended Warranty
Class members who submit a valid and timely claim form can receive:
- Extension of the original warranty through the date ending one year after the settlement effective date; and
- $72.50 credit redeemable towards one of the following products:
- Power Cooker, a 10-qt. pressure cooker – Model No. PC-WAL4
- Power Air Fryer XL, a 5.3-qt. air fryer – Model No. AF-530
- Copper Chef XL Precision Induction Cooktop Set, consisting of induction cooktop, 11” deep dish casserole pan with glass lid, fry basket, steam rack, 10” round pan with glass lid, and recipe book
Proof of Purchase
- Along with contact information, claimants will need to provide the following information for each Power Pressure Cooker purchased:
- Estimated Date of Purchase
- Model Number on Back of Pressure Cooker
- Name of Pressure Cooker on Face Plate
- Proof of purchase such as a receipt or invoice, or a picture of the manufacturer’s identification plate from the back of the product
Power Pressure Cooker Settlement Notes
- Chapman, et al. v. Tristar Products, Inc. & Pinon et al. v. Tristar Products, Inc.
- Case No. 1:16CV01114
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
In 2016, two nationwide class action lawsuits were brought against Tristar, alleging certain models of the company’s Power Pressure Cookers were defective because they could be opened while dangerous levels of pressure remained in the units, causing liquid to erupt and injure consumers. Specifically the plaintiffs claim that these defects include the following:
- the Pressure Cooker may suddenly release steam while being opened
- the Pressure Cooker lid may be able to be moved while under pressure, contrary to the Owner’s Manual representation
- the pressure relief valve may inaccurately indicate that built-up pressure has escaped the Pressure Cooker
- there is a faulty gasket that may allow the lid to open despite the presence of significant built-up pressure
- the Pressure Cooker does not properly seal
- the Pressure cooker can develop pressure when the lid is only partially, or is improperly closed, contrary to the Owner’s Manual representation
Tristar denies all claims and allegations but agreed to settle to avoid the uncertainty of continued litigation.
Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Power Pressure Cooker Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Power Pressure Cooker Settlement must do so by June 4, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim form must do so by July 4, 2018.
- 7/4/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 6/4/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 7/12/18: Final Hearing at 9:00 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.PowerPressureCookerSettlement to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Power Pressure Cooker Settlement, c/o Heffler Claims Group, PO Box 58580 , Philadelphia, PA 19102-8580
- Phone: 844-271-4784
- Gregory F. Coleman, Adam Edwards, Mark E. Silvey, and Lisa White of Greg Coleman Law PC
- Jack Landskroner and Drew T. Legando of Landskroner Greico Merriman LLC
- Edward A. Wallace and Tyler J. Story of Wexler Wallace LLP
- Shanon J. Carson and Arthur Stock of Berger & Montague PC