Who is a Class Member
The Monier Roofing Tiles class action settlement includes “all owners of homes or commercial properties in the State of California, or previous owners of homes or commercial properties in the State of California, with Monier tiles sold between January 1, 1978 and August 14, 1997, or previous owners of homes or commercial properties with Monier tiles sold during that same period.”
Note: Prior to purchasing your home or structure, or obtaining your Monier, Inc. roofing tile product, you must have been exposed to a misrepresentation by or on behalf of Monier along the lines that the tiles would have a 50 year life, permanent color, or would be maintenance free.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
- $3,705 for home property
- $400 per 30 tiles for commercial property
Proof of Purchase
- You will need to provide the following information:
- Address of structure with Monier roofing tiles
- Documentation of property ownership
- Supporting documentation including photos of the structure and Monier roofing tiles
Monier Roofing TilesSettlement Notes
- McAdams v. Monier, Inc.
- Case No. SCV 16410
- Pending in the Superior Court of California, Placer County
Plaintiff X McAdams brought this class action lawsuit alleging Monier made misleading statements concerning slurry-coated concrete roofing tiles manufactured from Jan. 1, 1978 through Aug. 14, 1997. The case went to trial in October 2012 and ended in January 2013. At trial, the jury found that the Class members were “exposed to a statement by Monier that the color coating on Monier slurry-coated roofing tiles would last 50 years, would have permanent color, or be maintenance free, and that Monier failed to disclose in that statement that the color coat would deteriorate in less than 50 years.” However, the trial judge overturned the jury’s verdict and entered judgment in favor of Monier.
The plaintiffs appealed the judge’s ruling and won. In October 2015, the Third District Court of Appeal issued an opinion reversing the trial judge’s ruling and reinstated the jury’s verdict. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Monier Roofing Tiles settlement website.
- 9/17/19: Claim Form Deadline
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.RoofingTilesClassAction.com/en to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Monier Tile Class Action, P.O. Box 4068, Portland, OR 97208-4068
- Phone: 1-877-797-6085
- Email: info@RoofingTilesClassAction.com
- Jeffrey Cereghino of ROCK Law LLP
- Michael Ram of Robins Kaplan LLP