Who is a Class Member
- Class members of the Illinois Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Settlement include all individuals who “purchased one or more CRT televisions or monitors between March 1, 1995 and November 25, 2007 while residing in Illinois (or, if you are a business, while you were headquartered or incorporated in Illinois), for your own use and not for resale.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- $20 per TV and $60 per monitor
Claims will be paid on a pro rata basis (equal share) and are estimated to allow for at $20 per claim and may increase if additional defendants settle or the Illinois State Attorney General prevails at trial.
Proof of Purchase
Illinois Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Settlement Notes
- Illinois v. Hitachi LTD, et al.
- Case No. 12 CH 35266
- Pending in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
The State of Illinois brought this antitrust class action lawsuit against several manufacturers and suppliers of cathode ray tubes, claiming the companies conspired to fix and inflate prices of CRTs, resulting in overcharges to consumer who bought certain televisions and monitors containing CRTs.
A cathode ray tube (CRT) is a piece of technology used as screens in televisions and computer monitors. CRTs were the main technology used in these devices prior to LCD, Plasma, and LED displays.
According the lawsuit, the alleged actions of Hitachi, LG, Philips, Samsung, Panasonic, and Toshiba resulted in consumers paying much higher prices for CRTs than they should have.
As of now, the state of Illinois has settled claims with Hitachi, LG, Philips, and Samsung. However, claims are still pending with Panasonic and Toshiba.
The four settling defendants deny these allegations or that indirect purchasers incurred any overcharge but agreed to settle to avoid further litigation.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the settlement must do so by March 12, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by July 12, 2018.
- 7/12/18: Deadline to submit a claim form
- 3/12/18: Deadline for Class members to exclude themselves or object to the settlement
- 12/13/17: Status hearing on final approval of the filed settlements (according to the Order on Joint Motion for Approval of a Notice Plan)
- Mail: CRT Illinois Claims, c/o KCC Class Action Services, PO Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-866-652-8226
- Email: info@IllinoisCRTSettlement.com