Who is a Class Member
The North American Electricity & Gas Class Action Settlement includes “all persons who at any time from February 20, 2012 to June 5, 2017, were customers of North American Power & Gas (NAPG) and paid NAPG variable rates for electricity and/or natural gas in Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Georgia or Texas.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- $2.87 per month of service
Proof of Purchase
North American Power & Gas Settlement Notes
- Edwards v. North American Power & Gas LLC
- Case No. 3:14-cv-01714-VAB
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
In November 2014, plaintiff Paul Edwards brought this class action lawsuit alleging that North American Power & Gas engages in “unfair, deceptive, unconscionable and bad faith billing for suppluing electricity to residential consumers.”
Specifically, Edwards says that North American Power & Gas entices residential customers to sign up for its services by offering low initial rates for electricity. When this “teaser” rate period expires, however, customers are rolled over into a month-to-month variable rate plan with exorbitant rates. The lawsuit contends that North American Power & Gas routinely charges its consumer three to four time the underlying rate market. Basically, North American Power & Gas’s rates go up to match spikes in the underlying market price. However, when the market price goes down, North American Power & Gas’s rate remains at an inflated level several times higher than the market rate. Through this scheme, consumers are subject to consistent and unlawful “heads I win, tails you lose” pricing, according to the lawsuit.
North American Power & Gas denies the claims in the lawsuit but agreed to settle the dispute to avoid the cost and risk of a trial. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the North American Power & Gas Settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the settlement must do so by June 26, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before June 26, 2018.
- 6/26/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 6/26/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 8/1/18: Final Hearing at 10:00 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.ElectricityandGasSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Edwards v. North American Power & Gas, c/o Heffler Claims Group, PO Box 59329, Philadelphia, PA 19102-9329
- Phone: 1-844-271-4787
- Izard Kindall & Raabe LLP
- Finkelstein Blankinship Frei-Pearson & Garber LLP
- Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman LLC
- MCune Wright Arevalo LLP