Who is a Class Member
- Class Members of the Texas TitleMax DMV Privacy settlement include “all persons whose name and addresses were obtained by TitleMax from a Texas DMV record.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants must provide all required information on the claim form as well as a signed substitute IRS Form W-9 with their tax identification number and a copy of their government-issued photo ID card.
Texas TitleMax DMV Privacy Settlement Notes
- Dexter Sistrunk v. TitleMax Inc., et al.
- Case No. 5:14-cv-00628-RP
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Plaintiff Dexter Sistrunk initiated this class action lawsuit, alleging TitleMax violated federal law when its employees allegedly obtained confidential personal information (including names, addresses, and vehicle information) from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles/
According to the complaint, beginning in the summer of 2012, TitleMax allegedly began accessing state motor vehicle records to obtain information about consumers who had previously obtained title loans from other companies for purposes of marketing and soliciting its services to these potential customers.
However, Sistrunk and other Class members say they never consented to such contact or solicitation and that by obtaining this information for purposes of soliciting new customers, TitleMax violated the Drivers Privacy Protection Act (DPPA).
TitleMax denies these claims and maintains they did nothing wrong but has agreed to settle the allegations and avoid further litigation.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt-out of the settlement must do so by Dec. 22, 2017. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by March 16, 2018.
- 3/16/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 12/22/17: Exclusion or Objection Deadline
- 2/16/18: Final approval hearing at 9:00 am CT (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
- Mail: Sistrunk v. TitleMax Settlement, c/o Rust Consulting Inc.- 5515, PO Box 2563, Faribault, MN 55021-9563
- Email: info@SistrunkClassAction.com
- Cory Fein of Cory Fein Law Firm