Who is a Class Member
You are included in the Mandee Stores Unwanted Text Message TCPA Settlement if you received a text message relating to Mandee Stores from October 16, 2013 to December 31, 2014 containing the language “Welcome to VIP Status!”.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
- $15 Merchandise Voucher or $10 Cash Payment
Mandee Stores has agreed to provide every Class Member with a Merchandise Voucher worth up to $15 that can be used at any Mandee store. Merchandise Vouchers must be claimed by May 30, 2018. Any Class Members who prefer to receive $10 cash payment instead of the Merchandise Voucher may submit a Claim Form by March 29, 2018.
Proof of Purchase
- To qualify for a cash payment, claimants must provide their contact information along with the telephone number at which they received an unwanted text message relating to Mandee Stores from October 16, 2013 to December 31, 2014 with the language “Welcome to VIP Status!”
Note: Each Settlement Class Member is entitled to submit only one claim form regardless of the number of text messages received, and there can be only one claim for any given phone number.
Mandee Stores Unwanted Text Message TCPA Settlement Notes
- Frieda Zeidel, et al. v. A&M (2015) LLC
- Case No. 1:13-cv-06989
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division
In January 2016, plaintiffs Frieda Zeidel and Carla Serrano brought this class action lawsuit in order to stop Mandee Stores’ practice of sending mass unwanted text message calls to promote its apparel products. Specifically, the plaintiffs claim that at no time did they provide consent, including written consent, to receive these text message advertisements from Mandee Stores – a violation of The Telephone Consumer Protection Act or TCPA.
The TCPA regulates telemarketing for text messages, requiring consent for nearly all text messages. And for advertising purposes, prior express written consent is required. Business that fail to comply with the TCPA can be held liable for up to $1500 per recipient for each text message sent.
Mandee Stores contests the claims made by the plaintiffs and class and denies that it violated the TCPA. However, to avoid further litigation, the company agreed to settle. In addition to the $15 Merchandise Voucher or $10 Cash Payment Award, Mandee has also agreed to change its text message practices, only sending text message advertising if it first obtains the prior express written consent of recipients. The Mandee Stores Unwanted Text Message TCPA Settlement was granted preliminarily approval on October 16, 2017.
Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Mandee Unwanted Text Message TCPA Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Mandee TCPA Settlement must do so by February 2, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for cash payment must do so by March 29, 2018.
- 3/29/18: Deadline to Return Proof of Claim (for $10 Cash Payment)
- 5/30/18: Deadline to Obtain Merchandise Voucher
- 2/2/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 3/1/18: Final Approval Hearing at 10:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.MandeeTCPASettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Tilghman & Co. PC, P.O. Box 2086, Birmingham, AL 35201
- Phone: 1-800-755-3699
- Myles McGuire, Evan M. Meyers, and Eugene Y. Turin of McGuire Law PC