Who is a Class Member
Class members of the Miami Research Associates Flu Study Unsolicited Text Messages Class Action Settlement include “all persons( i) identified in the Settlement Class List (ii) who received a text message from MRA relating to the flu study (iii) between June 1, 2016 and February 1, 2017.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to provide the telephone number that received the unsolicited text messages on their claim form.
Claim & Verification Form
Miami Research Associates Flu Study Unsolicited Text Messages Settlement Notes
- Marengo v. Miami Research Associates, LLC
- Case No. 1:17-cv-20459-JLK
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
In February 2017, plaintiff Desiree Marengo filed this putative class action lawsuit against Miami Research Associates alleging the company violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) by sending automated unsolicited text messages for telemarketing purposes.
Specifically, Marengo claims that in order to drum up business, MRA sent her and others unsolicited text messages encouraging volunteer participation in an investigational bird flu vaccine study in exchange for compensation. However, at no time did Marengo give MRA permission to send these telemarketing texts to her. Additionally, there was no opt out or STOP reply that Marengo could use to cease receiving these unsolicited text messages. And this is where the TCPA comes in.
Under the TCPA, businesses cannot send text messages for telemarketing or advertising purposes unless they have prior written express consent from the recipient. In fact, businesses that disregard the law, can be held liable for up to $1500 per unsolicited text message.
Miami Research Associates denies Marengo’s allegations and denies any wrongdoing, but agreed to pay out $1.2 million to settle the claims and avoid further litigation.
Complete details are provided in the Class Notice, which is available on the Miami Research Associates Flu Study Unsolicited Text Messages Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Miami Research Associates Flu Study Unsolicited Text Messages Settlement must do so by March 17, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit their claim form on or before March 17, 2018.
- 3/17/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 3/17/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 3/27/18: Final Hearing at 10:30 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.MRASettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Marengo v. MRA Claims Administrator, c/o Angeion Group, 1801 Market Street, Suite 660, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Phone: 1-877-235-4599
- Email: MRASettlement@AdministratorClassAction.com
- Manuel S. Hiraldo of Hiraldo PA
- Andrew J. Shamis of Shamis & Gentile PA
- Seth M. Lehrman of Edwards Pottinger LLC