Who is a Class Member
You are a Class Member of the Health Net PPO Out of Network Care Class Action Settlement “if you were enrolled in a Health Net individual and family PPO plan in 2014 and obtained services from an out-of-network medical professional, claims for which were previously submitted to Health Net by you or the out-of-network medical professional.”
Note: The settlement only applies to PPO plans purchased by individuals and families for 2014, not employer-provided health plans. Additionally, consumers who were enrolled in Health Net’s individual and family HMO plans, EPO plans, and HSP plans are not Class Members and are not releasing any claims under this settlement.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
- 100% Reimbursement
Class Members who submit a valid and timely claim form are eligible to receive a payment for 100% compensation of out-of-pocket expenses for losses incurred in 2014 resulting from any provider network misinformation or confusion. There is no cap on the fund to pay valid claims submitted.
Proof of Purchase
- For medical bills you have already paid, you must submit documentation that identifies the medical service(s) provided and the amount your paid for the medical service(s). Accepted forms of proof include credit card statements, receipt from medical professional, and/or cancelled checks.
- For medical bills you have not already paid, but that have been the subject of active collection efforts within the last 90 days, you must submit a collection notice dated on or after January 9, 2018 or a written communication or bill for services from the medical professional(s) dated on or after January 9, 2018, demanding payment of unpaid medical bills.
Health Net PPO Out of Network Care Settlement Notes
- Rebecca Lehman, et al. v. Health Net of California, Inc., et al.
- Case No. BC567361
- Pending in the Superior Court for the State of California for the County of Los Angeles
The class action lawsuit stems from allegations that Health Net made misleading representations and omissions to consumers regarding the provider networks available under the plans. Specifically, the complaint contends that Health Net misrepresented to consumers that certain physicians and hospitals were participants in Health Net plans when they actually were not.
Health Net denies any wrongdoing but agreed to an uncapped settlement fund to reimburse all Class Members who submit valid and timely claim forms. Health Net has also agreed to take measures to ensure accurate provider lists and make better disclosures regarding coverage. Additionally, Health Net agrees to treat any out-of-network provider as in-network for billing purposes if that provider is represented as in-network by Health Net and a member relies on that network status when seeking medical services. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Health Net PPO Out Network Care Settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the settlement must do so by June 25, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before June 25, 2018.
- 6/25/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 6/25/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 7/12/8: Final Hearing at 11:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.NetworkSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Lehman v. Health Net of California, Inc., c/o GCG, P.O. Box 10573 Dublin, Ohio 43017-7273
- Phone: 1-888-264-1304
- Michael J. Bidart and Travis M. Corby of Shernoff Bidart Echeverria LLP
- Jerry Flanagan and Benjamin Powell of Consumer Watchdog
- Robert S. Arns and Julie C. Erickson of The Arns Law Firm