Who is a Class Member
Class members of the Tacoma Screw Products FACTA Receipt Settlement include all individuals “who used a personal credit card or debit card for a credit transaction at any Tacoma Screw Products stores during the period July 1, 2014 through July 14, 2016, and were provided an electronically printed receipt on which was printed the expiration date of your credit card or debit card.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
- Tacoma Screw Products Gift Card valued at $100
Class members whoo submit a valid and timely claim form are entitled to one TSP Gift Card in an amount of $100.00. Each TSP Gift Card shall be fully transferable to any and all other persons and shall not expire. The TSP Gift Cards are not redeemable for cash and may only be used to make the purchase of goods or services from any TSP location.
Proof of Purchase
- To qualify for payment, Settlement Class Members must complete and submit the online claim form, and provide proof in one of the following two ways:
- Attach an original or copy of your customer receipt issued by TSP containing the expiration date of your personal (not business) credit or debit card.
- Attach an original or copy of the credit or debit card statement showing that you made a credit transaction at any TSP store at any time during the Class period. (Be sure to redact information contained in your credit or debit card statement to prevent it from showing things like your account numbers, your other purchases, etc.)
Tacoma Screw Products FACTA Receipt Settlement Notes
- Albert Viesse, et al. v. Tacoma Screw Products, Inc., et al.
- Case No. 2:16-cv-01026-JCC
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
In July 2016, plaintiff Albert Viesse alleged that Tacoma Screw Products willfully violated the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) by printing the expiration date of his and other consumers’ credit credit and/or debit cards on their electronically printed customer receipts on and after July 1, 2014.
According to FACTA law, businesses are required to shorten – or truncate – customer account information in order to protect against identity theft. Retailers and merchants many not include more than than the lst five digits of a customer’s credit or debit card number, and must not print the card’s expiration date. The FTC provides an example of what a FACTA compliant receipt that truncates the credit card number and deletes the expiration date should look like:
- ACCT: ***********12345
- EXP: ****
Tacoma Screw Products does not admit any violation of FACTA by agreeing to the proposed settlement.
Under the terms of the Tacoma Screw Products FACTA Receipt Settlement, the company will provide a TSP gift card in the amount of $100.00 to each Class member who submits a valid and timely claim form. These gift cards will not expire and can only be used to make purchases from any TSP stores. Additionally, Tacoma Screw Products has changed its point of sale (“POS”) system programming to comply with FACTA’s prohibition on displaying expiration dates on credit or debit card receipts and has implemented a FACTA compliance policy to ensure that it does not print credit or debit card receipts which display the expiration date or more than the last 5 digits of the card number.
The Frequently Asked Questions section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Tacoma Screw Products FACTA Receipt Settlement website.
Class members who wish to opt out or object to the terms of the Tacoma Screw Products FACTA Settlement must do so by March 7, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for a gift card must do so by July 5, 2018.
- 7/5/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 3/7/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 4/3/18: Final Hearing at 9:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.TSPFACTASettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Tacoma FACTA Settlement, c/o Atticus Administration, LLC, PO Box 1440, Minneapolis, MN 55440
- Email: info@TSPFACTASettlement.com
- Chant Yedalian of Chant & Co – A Professional Law Corporation