Who is a Class Member
Class Members in the FRHI Hotels & Resorts Illegal Call Recording Class Action Settlement include persons “who called one or more of FRHI’s toll-free telephone numbers during the period December 2, 2015 through November 28, 2016 while you were physically located in California, and spoke with a representative of FRHI, provided that you were either a California resident at the time such call was made or used a phone number with a California area code to place such call (even if you were not a California resident).”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
The actual amount paid out to individual Class Members will depend on the number of timely and valid claim forms submitted. However, it is estimated that each Class Member will receive approximately $100 per qualified call, but not more than $5,000 per qualified call.
Proof of Purchase
FRHI Hotels & Resorts Illegal Call Recording Settlement Notes
- Spitzer, et al. v. FRHI Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
- Case No. CIVDS1712220
- Pending in the San Bernardino County Superior Court
In June 2017, plaintiff Mike Spitzer initiated this putative class action lawsuit against Canadian-based Fairmont Hotels & Resorts (FHRI), alleging the company unlawfully recorded calls made from “hardwired telephones” to FRHI’s toll-free telephone numbers without notice or consent. According to Spitzer, these call recording practices violate certain California laws that makes it illegal to record phone conversations without the consent of all parties.
FHRI denies any wrongdoing but has agreed to a settlement to avoid the uncertainty and cost of further litigation and a trial.
Under the terms of the FHRI illegal call recording settlement, FHRI will create a settlement fund of $3.5 million. Individual settlement payouts will be dispersed once classa citn notice and administration fees and costs, as well as attorneys’ fees and Class representative service awards are paid out. It is estimated that eligible Class members will receive $100 per qualified call.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the FRHI Hotels & Resorts Illegal Call Recording Class Action Settlement must do so by March 15, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for payment must do so by March 15, 2018.
- 3/15/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 3/15/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 5/16/18: Final Approval Hearing at 8:30 am PT (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
- Mail: Spitzer, et al. v. FRHI Hotels & Resorts Inc., c/o Heffler Claims Group, PO Box 58910, Philadelphia, PA 19102-8910
- Phone: 1-855-887-3478
- Email: info@FRHICallRecordingSettlement.com
- Eric A. Grover and Rachael G. Jung of Keller Grover LLP
- Scot Bernstein of Scot D. Bernstein, A Professional Corporation
- Daniel F. Gaines and Alex P. Katofsky of Gaines & Gaines APLC