Who is a Class Member
Anyone who rented, owned, or leased residential property within the defined area between April 25, 2013 and present. Tenants only need to have established connection with the area at a singular point during the class period. Additional qualifying members who filled out a Data Sheet with complaints about odors prior to February 1, 2017.
*Class area is defined in the Settlement Agreement
Proof of Purchase
Potential members are required to submit sufficient documentation to show ownership or a lease agreement during the class period. If documents are not available to the individual, equivalent copies must be procured.
*Maintain a copy of any form submitted to class counsel.
Potential Settlement Payment
According to the Arbor Hills settlement notice, Class Members may expect to receive any share of the pool after all legal and administrative expenses have been squared.
Additional reimbursements will amount to approximately $5,000,000 in total “improvement measures” to settle all other actions. The work will consist of, but is not limited to:
- 80+ new landfill gas wells
- 14,000+ feet of piping replaced and/or installed.
- Regular odor patrols put in place for on- and off-site testing.
- Installation of new odor control measures and devices.
09/05/2017: Preliminary hearing.
10/11/2017: Deadline for personal exclusion. Hard copies must be dated be dated on or prior to this date.
10/23/2017: Deadline for claim filings.
10/27/2017: Final hearing.
- Jorell Lawrence, Mary Salmon v. Advanced Disposal Services Arbor Hills Landfill Inc., BFI Waste Systems of North America, LLC, Allied Waste Industries, Inc.
- Case No. 16-005209-NZ
- Pending in the Michigan Circuit Court for Wayne County
Class members in the Arbor Hills Landfill noxious odors class action lawsuit claim that Advanced Disposal Systems and BFI Waste Systems emitted noxious odors from the Arbor Hills Landfill in Salem Township (Michigan) which tainted the defined class area. Plaintiffs utilized extensive resources to investigate the situation, and the result was a settlement agreement with the defense.
Advanced Disposal Systems and BFI remains adamant that they are not liable and deny all allegations, but have agreed to a settlement by acting in good faith and an effort to avoid excessive litigation risks. The proposed is comprised of the following characteristics:
- Payment of $750,000 (50/50 split between Advanced Disposal and BFI).
- Class expenses will be determined through Court approval with likely advancement by class counsel.
- Improvement measures previously expressed in the initial notice.
Liddle & Dubin PC
Arbor Hills Landfill Claims Form
975 E. Jefferson Ave.
Detroit, MI 48207