Who is a Class Member
You are included in the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphone LTE Band 12 Functionality “if you reside in North Carolina or Kentucky and purchased either an Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7 inch or 5.5 inch Smartphone during the time period of January 1, 2015 – December 27, 2016 and used the T-Mobile network, which may include, but is not limited to the following virtual network operators: Lyca Mobile, MetroPCS, Net10, Republic Wireless, Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, Ting, TracFone, Ultra Mobile, Univision Mobile, US Mobile, Walmart Family Mobile, ZIP SIM (formerly Ready SIM).”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
- Reinstatement of LTE Band 12 Functionality or Replacement Phone
Class Members can choose to receive one of the following settlement options:
(1) reinstate LTE Band 12 functionality on the particular Settlement Class Member’s Idol 3 Smartphone
(2) provide a comparable replacement Alcatel smartphone (i.e., one with a MSRP of at least $179.99 and LTE Band 12 compatibility) for each Idol 3 Smartphone originally purchased.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to provide evidence that they reside in North Carolina or Kentucky and provide proof that they purchased an Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7 inch or 5.5 inch smartphone between January 1, 2015 and December 27, 2016, as well as provide evidence that their OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphone used the T-Mobile Network (or a mobile virtual network operator listed above).
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphones LTE Band 12 Functionality Settlement Notes
- Matthews, et al. v. TCL Communication, Inc. et al.
- Case No. 3:17-cv-95
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
In December 2016, plaintiffs Russell Noll and Ella Matthews filed two separate class action lawsuits that were consolidated in North Carolina federal court. Their consolidated complaint alleges that Alcatel marketed, warranted and sold their OneTouch Idol 3 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch smartphones as possessing compatibility with LTE Band 12, a frequency on which mobile phones operate for high speed communication.
The Alcatel Band 12 class action further contends that the company removed LTE Band compatibility from all OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphones in a software update, greatly reducing the functionality of the OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphones.
Alcatel denies these claims, as well as any wrongdoing in the sale, distribution or marketing of the OneTouch Idol 3 Smartphones. Complete details about the case and settlement can be found on the Alcatel Band 12 Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the Alcatel Band 12 settlement must do so by May 13, 2018. Class members who wish to receive benefits from the settlement must submit their claim form on or before April 13, 2019.
- 4/13/19: Claim Form Deadline (Yes, 2019).
- 5/13/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 6/11/18: Final Hearing at 9:00 a.m. ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.AlcatelBand12Settlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Alcatel Band 12 Settlement c/o RG2 Claims Administration LLC P.O. Box 59479 Philadelphia, PA 19102-9479
- Phone: 1-866-742-4955
- Fax: 1-215-827-5551
- Nicholas A. Migliaccio and Jason S. Rathod of Migliaccio & Rathod LLP
- Gary E. Mason of Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP