Who is a Class Member
The Emery Federal Credit Union Genuine Title Mortgage Loan Class Action Settlement includes “all individuals in the United States who were borrowers on a federally related mortgage loan (as defined under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, 12 U.S.C. § 2602) originated or brokered by Emery for which Genuine Title provided a settlement service, as identified on the borrower’s HUD-1, between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2014.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Each Class Member will receive a proportionate share of the $9 million settlement fund once attorneys’ fees, costs, expenses, and service awards are deducted.
Proof of Purchase
Genuine Title Emery Settlement Notes
- Palombaro, et al. v. Emery Federal Credit Union
- Case No. 1:15-cv-00792-SJD-KLL
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Cincinnati Division
Plaintiffs Shelly and Frank Palombaro, along with five other named plaintiffs filed this class action lawsuit alleging that certain Emery Federal Credit Union employees referred business to Genuine Title in exchange for kickbacks, including money – a violation of federal law.
Specifically the lawsuit contends that the plaintiffs were victims of an illegal kickback scheme where Emery received unearned fees and kickbacks from Genuine Title and/or sham marketing companies operated by Genuine Title’s principals. These alleged business practices are a direct violation of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act or RESPA. According to the class action lawsuit, Genuine Title provided hundreds of thousands of dollars to referring mortgage brokers employed by Emery Federal Credit Union from 2009 to 2014.
Emery does not admit any wrongdoing or liability but agreed to settle only to avoid the expense and inconvenience of continued litigation. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Genuine Title Emery Settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the Genuine Title Emery Settlement must do so by April 16, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement do not need to do anything to receive benefits.
- 4/16/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 7/10/18: Final Hearing at 10:00 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.GenuineTitleEmerySettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Palombaro et al. v Emery Federal Credit Union, Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-866-651-8253
- Michael Paul Smith and Melissa L. English of Smith Gildea & Schmidt LLC
- Timothy F. Maloney and Veronica B. Nannis of Joseph Greenwald & Laake PA
- Gregory M. Utter and Melissa A. Schaub of Keating Muething & Kleklamp PLL