Who is a Class Member
Class members of the Lia Sophia Jewelry Settlement have been divided into three categories:
- Customer Class: “All individuals in the United States who purchased jewelry from Act II between June 23, 2011, and December 1, 2014. Class Counsel estimates that, based on Act II’s records.”
- Sales Advisor Class: “All individuals in the United States who sold at least $250 of jewelry for Act II between January 1, 2014, and August 17, 2014. Class Counsel estimates that, based on Act II’s records.”
- New Sales Advisor Class: “All individuals in the United States who purchased initial starter kits from Act II between August 1, 2014, and December 1, 2014. Class Counsel estimates that, based on Act II’s records.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Customer Class Members: Your settlement payout will be dispersed according to three tiers and will also depend on the percentage of class members who submit valid and timely claims. Tier 1 customers include those who purchased less than $100 in jewelry, Tier 2 customers include customers who purchased between $100-$299.99 in jewelry, and Tier 3 customers include those who purchased $300 or more in jewelry. Below is a chart that estimates what each Customer Class Member may receive:
|Percentage of Claiming Class Members||Estimated Settlement Payment (Tier One)||Estimated Settlement Payment (Tier Two)||Estimated Settlement Payment (Tier Three)|
Sales Advisor Class Members: Your settlement payout will be allocated based on the amount of sales you made between Jan. 1, 2014 and Aug. 17, 2017 (according to Act II’s records) and will also depend on the percentage of class members who submit valid and timely claims and is expected to be between 8.02% and 20.04% of your 2014 sales. Below is a chart that estimates what each Sales Advisor Class Member may receive:
|Percentage of Claiming Class Members||Estimated Settlement Payment|
|10%||20.04% of Your 2014 Sales|
|15%||13.36% of Your 2014 Sales|
|25%||8.02% of Your 2014 Sales|
New Sales Advisor Class Members: Your settlement payout will provide full reimbursement of the amount paid for the initial starter kit, ranging from $99 to $149.
Proof of Purchase
- Class members will need to provide their Class Member ID from their Settlement Notice.
Lia Sophia Jewelry Buyer & Seller Settlement Notes
- Cynthia West, et al., v. Act II Jewelry, LLC, et al.
- Case No. 1:15-cv-05569
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Nearly two years ago, Cynthia West and five other named plaintiffs filed this class action lawsuit against Lia Sophia Jewelry alleging the company breached its promise to its customers to provide a lifetime warranty for the jewelry sold by its sales advisors. Specifically, the plaintiffs say that Lia Sophia revoked its lifetime warranties on its jewelry and allegedly misrepresented or omitted this information to its purchasers of its jewelry, sellers of its jewelry, and those who purchased “Initial Starter Kits” from the company.
Additionally the lawsuit states that Lia Sophia made misstatements to its sales advisors regarding the closing of its business.
Act II Jewelry, formerly known as Lia Sophia, denies the allegation and any wrongdoing but agreed to settle the claims to avoid the cost, risk, and delay of further litigation.
The $6.7 million settlement will be used to provide compensation for a Customer Class, a Sales Advisor Class, and a New Sales Advisor Class. The settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Lia Sophia Jewelry Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Lia Sophia Jewelry Buyer & Seller Class Action Settlement must do so by April 9, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by April 9, 2018.
- 4/9/18 Claim Form Deadline
- 4/9/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 6/6/18: Final Hearing at 9:00 am CT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.LiaSophiaSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Lia Sophia Settlement, c/o Heffler Claims Group, P.O. Box 170, Philadelphia, PA 19102-0170
- Phone: 1-844-412-1945
- Josephy J. Siprut, Todd L. McLawhorn, and Ke Liu of Siprut PC