Who is a Class Member
Class members of the Sysco Excessive Fuel Surcharge Settlement include “All customers in the United States which paid [Sysco] one or more of the Fees at any time within the Class Period, and whose contracts pursuant to which such Fees were paid do not expressly set forth the manner of calculating the Fees.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlements you may be eligible for.
Your portion of the Sysco Excessive Fuel Surcharge Settlement will be determined on a pro-rata basis (equal share) and will depend on how many other Class Members submit valid and timely claims.
Proof of Purchase
- Sysco will rely on the information in its computer systems to verify claims. However, claimants can submit, but are not required to, copies of their invoices along with their Claim Form.
Sysco Excessive Fuel Surcharge Settlement Notes
- Grilling the Dream, Inc., et al. v. Sysco Corporation
- Case No. 17-cv-1192-1
- Pending in the Superior Court of Dougherty County, Georgia
Four named plaintiffs from Georgia, Florida, and California filed this consolidated class action lawsuit against Sysco and its affiliated companies alleging they were charged excessive fuel surcharges. According to the lawsuit, these actions were a breach of contract and Sysco reportedly violated state statutory and common law.
Sysco denies that it did anything wrong and contends that it’s charging and collection of fuel surcharges has always been appropriate and proper. However, the company has entered int a $6.6 million settlement agreement to resolve these claims and avoid further litigation.
Under the terms of the Sysco Fuel Surcharge Class Action Settlement, the $6.6 million will be used to pay Class members who submit valid and timely claims, plaintiffs’ attonerys’ fees, class representative incentive awards, administration costs, and litigation expenses.
The FAQ section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Sysco Fuel Surcharge Class Action Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Sysco Excessive Fuel Surcharge Settlement must do so by February 1, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for payment must do so by May 1, 2018.
- 5/1/18: Claim Filing Deadline
- 2/1/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 2/15/18: Final Approval Hearing at 12:00 pm ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check the Sysco Fuel Surcharge Class Action Settlement website to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail:Grilling the Dream, Inc. et al. v. Sysco Corporation, c/o Dahl Administration, PO Box 3613, Minneapolis, MN 55403-0613
- Phone: 1-866-431-9933
- Email: infor@FuelSurchargeSettlement.com
- Oscar M. Price IV and Nicholas W. Armstrong of Price & Armstrong LLC
- Patrick S. Flynn of Flynn Peeler & Phillips LLC