Who is a Class Member
You are included in the Art Van Furniture TCPA class action settlement if “you were called by or on behalf of Art Van Furniture through the use of prerecorded voice technology between May 23, 2013, and July 23, 2018.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Your payment will depend on the total number of valid claims that are filed.
Proof of Purchase
- You will need to provide either your Claim ID or the phone number to which you received the prerecorded marketing call.
Art Van Furniture TCPA Settlement Notes
- Bowman v. Art Van Furniture
- Case No. 2:17-CV-11630-NGE-RSW
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
In May 2017, plaintiff Michael Bowman filed this class action lawsuit against Art Van Furniture alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Art Van is a furniture retailer will 35 full-line furniture stores throughout Michigan and parts of the Midwest.
According to the complaint, in an attempt to promote its business and increase its bottom line, Art Van conducted a wide-scale telemarketing campaign, placing repeated unsolicited pre-recorded marketing calls to consumers’ cellular telephones without their consent, all in violation of the TCPA.
Specifically, in March 2017, Bowman received a prerecorded telephone call on his cell phone from Art Van. When he answered Art Van’s call, he was greeted by a prerecorded voice. The purpose of Art Van’s call was to solicit Bowman to purchase furniture from Art Van in Howell, Michigan, and to take advantage of a sale that was currently taking place. Since then, Bowman says he has received multiple calls to his cell phone from Art Van promoting their services and sales. However, Bowman says he never consented to receive these calls from Art Van and never had a prior customer relationship with the company.
Art Van denies that it violated any law but agreed to settle for $5.825 million. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Art Van Furniture TCPA settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the Art Van Furniture TCPA settlement must do so by September 26, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before September 26, 2018.
- 9/26/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 9/26/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 10/24/18: Final Hearing at 1:00 pm ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.AVFSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Michael Bowman v. Art Van Furniture, Settlement Administrator – Epiq, P.O. Box 3410, Portland, OR 97208-3410
- Phone: 1-855-331-3602
- Steven L. Woodrow, Patrick H. Peluso, and Taylor Smith of Woodrow & Peluso LLC
- Stefan Coleman of Law Offices of Stefan Coleman PLLC