Who is a Class Member
You are included in the Dropbox Pro class action judgment “if you lived in California at the time and (i) you purchased:
(i) Dropbox Pro” between February 24, 2013 and August 1, 2014, and did not use the service more than 30 days after first paying for it; or
(ii) you purchased “Dropbox for Business” for personal, family or household reasons (that is, not for a business or organization) and did not use the service more than 30 days after paying for it.”
If you don’t qualify for this restitution, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Class Members who submit valid claim forms before the deadline of May 15, 2019, will receive a share of the $450,000 settlement fund.
Proof of Purchase
- You will need to provide proof of purchase along with your claim form, including either a receipt, credit card statement, or monthly bank statement reflecting the purchase and the date of purchase.
Dropbox Pro Automatic Renewal Judgment Notes
- People of the State of California vs. Dropbox Inc.
- Case No. RET18904840
- Pending in the Superior Court of the State of California in and for the County of Alameda
This class action lawsuit judgment stems from allegations that Dropbox violated California’s Automatic Renewal Law by failing to properly inform purchasers of Dropbox Pro or Dropbox for Business about their automatic renewal terms.
Specifically, the complaint alleged that Dropbox – a file sharing provider – did not obtain consumers’ consent to automatically renew their subscriptions and did not advise customers that the services were not for personal, family, or household use.
Under the terms of the court approved judgment, Dropbox will set up a restitution fund of $450,000 to refund qualifying California consumers. Without admitting liability, Dropbox also agreed to pay $1.6 million in civil penalties and $100,000 to reimburse the costs of investigation. Complete details about the case and judgment are provided on the Dropbox Restitution website.
Class members who wish to get a payout must submit a claim form on or before May 15, 2019.
- 5/19/19: Claim Form Deadline
- Mail: People of the State of California v Dropbox, PO Box 404041, Louisville, KY 40233-4041
- Phone: 1-866-670-3373
- Email: info@DropboxRestitution.com
- Nancy O’Malley, Alameda County District Attorney