Who is a Class Member
- “All California borrowers who obtained a residential mortgage loan owned or serviced by Chase and secured by real property located in the State of California, as to which, between July 28, 2011 through August 1, 2017, where Chase released the lien on the property securing the loan, and directly or indirectly, thereafter attempted to collect or actually collected unpaid balances on the loan after the lien release.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
The amount each Settlement Class Member receives depends on which of the three groups within the Settlement Class – Tranche 1, 2 or 3 – the Settlement Class Member belongs to, and may be subject to pro rata adjustment. Payments will be distributed to Settlement Class Members as follows:
Proof of Purchase
- No claim form is required. Settlement payments will be automatically mailed to eligible Class Members.
California Chase Bank Home Loan Debt Collection Settlement Notes
- Terry v. JPMorgan Chase Bank NA, et al.
- Case No. 3:15-cv-01666-DMS-KSC
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Plaintiff Carmen Terry filed the class action lawsuit alleging JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (“Chase”) violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and California laws by attempting to collect payments on residential mortgage loans owned and/or serviced by Chase after Chase voluntarily released the lien on the property securing the loan.
Chase denies the allegations and any instance of wrongdoing but has agreed to settle the lawsuit to avoid further litigation.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt-out of the settlement must do so by Dec. 6, 2017.
- 12/6/17: Opt out or exclusion deadline
- 12/6/17: Objection deadline
- 1/19/18: Final approval hearing at 1:30 pm PST (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
- Mail: Terry v. JPMorgan Chase Bank NA Settlement, c/o KCC Settlement Administrator, PO Box 404000, Louisville, KY 40233-4000
- Phone: 1-877-306-5251
- Timothy G. Blood and Thomas J. O’Reardon of Blood Hurst & O’Reardon LLP