Who is a Class Member
Class members of the California Universal Protection Service Unpaid Overtime Settlement include “Any person employed by Universal Protection Service, LP, or any successor, in California as a non-exempt security professional (e.g., security guards, or like titles, positions and/or duties) at any time from February 26, 2011 through November 22, 2017.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Individual settlement payouts will be calculated based on the number of work weeks a Class Member worked during the applicable period. Specific calculations are detailed on Section 6 of the Notice of Settlement of Class, Collective, and Representative Claims document.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to enter in their unique Claim ID number located on their mailed settlement notice. Some claimants may also need to provide a completed IRS Form W-9.
Universal Protection Service Unpaid Overtime Settlement Notes
- Stone, et al. v. Universal Protection Service LP
- Case No. 01-15-0002-7497
- Pending before the American Arbitration Association
In February 2015, claimant Robert Stone, a former employee of Universal Protection Service filed a claim with the American Arbitration Association alleging that Universal Protection Service failed to pay overtime wages for all hours worked as well as minimum wage. Additionally Stone asserted claims against UPS for meal period violations, rest period violations, waiting time penalties, and more. These alleged illegal business practices were in direct violation of California and federal law regarding the payment of wages and other wage and hour issues.
Universal Protection denies all allegations and any wrongdoing and maintains that it has paid its non-exempt security professionals in compliance with applicable laws. The company specifically agreed to the $30 million settlement to avoid the cost of proceeding with litigation.The Universal Protection Service Unpaid Overtime Settlement was granted preliminarily approval on November 22, 2017.
Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Universal Protection Service Unpaid Overtime Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the terms of the Universal Protection Service Unpaid Overtime Settlement must do so by February 14, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim for payment must do so by February 14, 2018.
- 2/14/18: Claim Filing Deadline
- 2/14/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 3/22/18: Final Approval Hearing at 10:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check UPSSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Robert Stone v. Universal Protection Service LP, c/o ILYM Group Inc., P.O. Box 2031, Tustin, CA 92781
- Phone: 1-855-309-1484
- Fax: 1-888-845-6185
- Email: claims@ILYMGroupClassAction.com
- Heather Davis of Protection Law Group
- Peter R. Dion-Kindem of The Dion-Kindem Law Firm
- Lonnie C. Blanchard III of The Blanchard Law Group APC
- Norm Blumenthal of Blumenthal Nordrehaug & Bhowmik
- J.D. Henderson of Law Office of J.D. Henderson