Who is a Class Member
The New York Ambit Energy Rate Hike class action settlement includes all “persons who received services in the State of New York who were enrolled as an electric or gas customer of Ambit and were on any of Ambit’s Guaranteed Savings Plans at any time during the period September 5, 2010 through and including February 22, 2018.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
The amount of your payout depends, among other things, on when you enrolled with Ambit, the length of time you were a customer, your usage, your charges, and how many customers submit claims.
For example: “If you were enrolled as an Ambit customer on the Guaranteed Savings Plan on January 1, 2011, and were rolled to the New York Select Variable Plan on January 1, 2012, and paid Ambit $200 dollars more while on the New York Select Variable Plan than you would have paid if on the Guaranteed Savings Plan during that same time period, your claim will be calculated as: $200 x .775 = $155”
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to provide the code from their Class Notice or the name and address of the Ambit Energy account holder.
New York Ambit Energy Rate Hike Settlement Notes
- Taurisha Simmons, et al. v. Ambit Energy Holdings, et al.
- Case No. 503285/2015
- Pending in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Kings County
In September 2015, three New York plaintiffs brought this class action lawsuit against Ambit alleging they were overcharged for gas and electricity when Ambit rolled them off a Guaranteed Savings Plan and into a Select Variable Plan without their authorization. Additionally, the complaint contends that Ambit never provided customers will the total amount of savings its represented under its Guaranteed Savings Plan.
Ambit denies any wrongdoing, but agreed to settle the case after 4 years of litigation for $26.5 million. (It recently settled the Pennsylvania Energy Electricity Rate Hike class action lawsuit for $9.3 million). Complete details about the New York case and settlement can be found here.
The New York Ambit Energy Electricity Rate Hike class action settlement was granted preliminary approval on February 22, 2018. Class members who wish to exclude themselves or object to the settlement must do so by May 18, 2018. Class members who wish to receive a cash payment from the settlement must submit their claim form on or before June 18, 2018.
- 6/18/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 5/18/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 6/27/18: Final Hearing at 10:00 a.m. ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.NYEnergySavingsSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Ambit Energy / New York Litigation, c/o Angeion Group, 1801 Market Street, Suite 660, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Phone: 1-877-445-0262
- Email: questions@NYEnergySavingsSettlement.com
- Steven L. Wittels, J. Burkett McInturif, and Tiasha Palikovic of Wittels Law PC
- Jeffrey A. Klafter, Seth R. Lesser, and Fran L. Rudich of Klafter Olsen & Lesser LLP