Who is a Class Member
You are a member of the Orbit Baby Car Seat Settlement if you “(a) you purchased a new Orbit Baby, Inc. infant or toddler car seat between April 26, 2012 and February 23, 2018 while residing in the State of California and (b) you have not yet received a full monetary refund from Orbit Baby, Inc. for your purchase(s) during the Class Period.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Class members who submit a valid and timely claim form will receive a pro rata share of the net settlement fund. The actual amount will depend on how many Class members submit claim forms and will be cased on the number of Orbit Baby car seats you purchased.
Proof of Purchase
- To qualify for payment, Settlement Class Members who did not received an official mailed notice must provide a receipt for each Orbit Baby car seat purchased.
Orbit Baby Car Seat Settlement Notes
- Jordana Lee Kopin v. Orbit Baby, Inc. and The Ergo Baby Carrier, Inc.
- Pending in Alameda County Superior Court
In April 2016, plaintiff Jordana Lee Kopin filed this putative class action lawsuit alleging Orbit Baby and The Ergo Baby Carrier misled consumers to believe their car seat products were free of hazardous chemicals, when in fact they were not. Specifically, Kopin claims that Orbit Baby infant and toddler car seats, strollers, bassinets, travel systems, and their accessories actually contain toxic chemicals such as brominated and chlorinated flame retardants, substances known to cause cancer or reproductive harm.
Orbit Baby, Inc. and The Ergo Baby Carrier, Inc. deny all allegations and maintain they did nothing wrong, but agreed to settle to avoid further litigation.
This is not the first time Orbit Baby has been under fire over their car seats. Last year, Orbit Baby entered into a settlement agreement with the Center for Environmental Health where they agreed to provide replacement car seats (valued at $400 or more) to all consumers who filed a claim.
The Frequently Asked Questions section on the settlement website further summarizes the terms of the settlement and how Class Members can file a claim. Complete details are provided in the Settlement Agreement. The Settlement Agreement and other related documents are available on the Orbit Baby Car Seat Settlement website.
Class members who wish to excludes themselves or object to the terms of the Orbit Baby Car Seat Settlement must do so by May 7, 2018. Class members who wish to submit a claim must do so by May 7, 2018.
- 5/7/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 5/7/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 6/15/18: Final Hearing at 11:00 am PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.OrbitBabyClassAction.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Orbit Baby Settlement, c/o Dahl Administration, P.O. Box 3614, Minneapolis, MN 55403-0614
- Phone: 1-877-413-6077
- Email: info@OrbitBabyClassAction.com
- Heather F. Auyang, James M. Lee, Timothy S. Fox, and David A. Crane of LTL Attorneys LLP
- Rana S. Ziaee of Ziaee Law