Who is a Class Member
The Google AdSense Publisher Class Action Settlement includes “all persons or entities Google’s records indicate are located within the United States, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, the United States Minor Outlying Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Canada, whose AdSense account Google disabled or terminated on any date between May 20, 2010 and May 7, 2018, and whose last AdSense unpaid amounts Google withheld in their entirety, and permanently, on any date between May 20, 2010 and May 7, 2018 in connection with such disablement or termination, and where the sum withheld totals $10 or more.”
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Your individual payout will depend on several factors, including the unpaid amount for your terminated AdSense account shown in Google’s records and how many valid and timely claim forms are submitted. It is expected that claimants can receive between a 30% and 100% reimbursement.
Proof of Purchase
- Along with the email address associated with your AdSense account, you will need to provide your Class Member Number and Control Number found on your individual Settlement Notice. If you do not have either of these and believe you should be included in this settlement, please contact the Settlement Administrator.
Google AdSense Publisher Settlement Notes
- Free Range Content, Inc. v. Google LLC
- Case No. 5:14-cv-02329-BLF
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division
This class action lawsuit stems from allegations brought in 2014 that when Google terminated AdSense publishers from the AdSense program, it improperly withheld unpaid amounts in those accounts. According to the plaintiffs – small website operators, this constitutes breach of implied contract because Google essentially withheld their ad revenue without cause to do so.
Specifically the AdSense publishers challenged Google’s actions in disabling or terminating their accounts, arguing Google had no right to do so because they never engaged in fraud or other activity prohibited by Google’s policies.
Google denies any wrongdoing and agreed to the $11 million settlement saying that further litigation “would be burdensome and expensive.” Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Google AdSense Publisher Settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the settlement must do so by September 4, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before September 4, 2018.
- 9/4/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 9/4/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 10/18/18: Final Hearing at 1:30 pm PT* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.AdSensePublisherSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Free Range Content v. Google, c/o GCG, P.O. Box 10537, Dublin, OH 43017-4537
- Phone: 1-888-684-5073
- Fax: 1-888-425-6983
- Email: info@AdSensePublisherSettlement.com
- Steve W. Berman and Robert F. Lopez of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP