Who is a Class Member
You are a member of the First Resolution Investment Debt Collection Class Action Settlement if at any time from April 8, 2011 through January 10, 2018, you were subjected to collection activity by FRIC on a consumer debt while you were a resident of Massachusetts. You are also included if FRIC filed any legal proceedings against you in any Massachusetts court during this time period.
These debt collection activities include:
- Dunning letter, bill, invoice, notice, demand, statement, or similar document
- Contacting a debtor by mail or email
- Placing telephone calls to a debtor or to relatives, household members, neighbors, personal references, or employers of a debtor
- Reporting a debt to a consumer reporting agency
- Filing or prosecuting a lawsuit
- Recording or levying an execution
- Filing or prosecuting a supplementary process action
- Filing or prosecuting a wage garnishment action
- Filing a proof of claim in a bankruptcy case
- Accepting money from a debtor or on a debtor’s behalf
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
Payments will made to Class Members who submit valid and timely claims forms as follows:
- Class Members with “closed accounts” will receive approximately 20% of the amount paid to FRIC or approximately 20% of $25.00 ($5), whichever is greater.
- Class Members with “open accounts”will receive approximately 10% of the amount paid to FRIC or approximately 10% of $25.00 ($2.50), whichever is greater.
The settlement award also provides the following benefits:
- On accounts where FRIC has already obtained a court judgment against the Class Member, all unpaid, post-judgment interest will be forgiven by FRIC. In addition any such accounts which are “open accounts” will no longer accrue interest.
- On accounts where FRIC does not have a court judgment, all unpaid post charge-off interest will be forgiven. In addition, any such accounts which are “open accounts” will no longer accrue interest.
- Class Members with a judgement account will receive a 10% credit of the remaining judgement.
- Class Members with a non-judgment account will receive a 10% credit on the account balance.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants will need to enter their Notice Code from the front of the mailed notice they received.
First Resolution Investment Debt Collection Settlement Notes
- Debra Clark v. First Resolution Investment Corp., et al.
- Case No. 15-1013-BLS2
- Pending in Suffolk Superior Court
Plaintiff Debra Clark initiated this class action lawsuit alleging that First Resolution Investment Corp. collected and tried to collect on defaulted consumer debts in Massachusetts without being licensed as a debt collector by the Massachusetts Division of Banks, and that FRIC brought lawsuits and other court proceedings against consumers without being registered as a foreign corporation with the Secretary of State.
FRIC disputes the claims and says it did nothing wrong but agreed to settle the unlawful debt collection class action lawsuit to avoid the costs and risks of a trial. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the First Resolution Investment Debt Collection settlement website.
Class members who wish to object to or exclude themselves from the First Resolution Investment Debt Collection settlement must do so by April 10, 2018. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit a claim form on or before April 10, 2018.
- 4/10/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 4/10/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 5/2318: Final Hearing at 2:00 pm ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check www.FirstResolutionSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Settlement Administrator, First Class, Inc./ J13713- Clark, 5410 W. Roosevelt Rd., Suite 222, Chicago, IL 60644-1490
- Phone: 1-844-245-3777
- Email: Admin@ConsumerAdvocates.com (Class Counsel)